When I go on a job interview and I'm asked, “What do you think your biggest flaw is?” I really don't have an answer. Not that I think I'm perfect-don't get me wrong-but generally when I become aware of a flaw in myself, whether it be as a worker, mom, friend, etc., I try to correct it. After all, if you know something's wrong, then you should try to fix it, right?
Several years ago my amazing boss (at the time) pointed out how counter-dependent I am. I always thought this was a good thing (who better to be responsible for me than me?) until he ordered a book on counter-dependency for me (would a counter-dependent person ever order a book for him/herself? Hmmm...quite a conundrum). I was giving it some thought several weeks back and came to the conclusion that my issue spreads further than simple counter-dependency; it is, essentially, a phobia of commitments of most kinds.
This isn't to say that I'm unstable or that I lack focus. I stayed at the same job for nearly nine years. I finished college. I have been in plenty of long-term relationships, and I've had the same cell-phone provider and number for more than ten years. What I despise is not the longevity of commitment, it's the idea that my free will should be taken away. That I'm committed because I have to be, not because I want to be.
So I delved into this idea further and further and have realized that while this tendency has been beneficial in some regards, it has also left me treading water in some ways, particularly those of a financial nature.
I never financed school (hence my leaving law school). I have never financed a home. I have never financed furniture. Or a laptop. Or even a car. I refuse to even get cable or even high-speed internet because they come with service commitments. No thanks.
But now, I think I'm ready for a big one.
A sink-or-swim commitment of immense proportions.
Wait for it...
Drum roll...
…
…
…
…
…
As of end of THIS summer, Kiera and I will, without doubt, have a home of our own.
I've been getting my ducks lined up for this for years (more on that soon). Kiera has been mentioning a house nonstop and, even though I absolutely love our apartment complex, this place feels borrowed.
It's an opportune time for home buying with both interest rates and home values being at record lows and the number of available homes reaching record highs.
To say I'm excited would be a serious understatement. I am absolutely stoked.
I know it's going to be a slight headache, and Kiera and I will probably have some differences in what the “perfect” home entails (these have already come to light), but, in the end, it will be ours.
I have made a promise to myself to not stress about the mortgage debt because, ultimately, I am building equity in something that will be mine.
Did I mention I'm going to try to pay this thing off in under ten years?
That isn't so much a sign of my fear of debt as it is a sign that I'm much too frugal (and smart) to pay 150% of the home's value in interest to the bank. No thanks.
Soooo, let's get the party started. I'll be updating often as we travel this uncharted territory. I'm lucky that I have a plethora of resources at my disposal to guide me. :) Yipppeee!