I have been so neglectful of my blog in lieu of taking care of real life-life.
I've got lots to touch on, and today seems like the perfect day to begin with that which has brought me so much joy over the past three weeks: our new home.
We got everything moved in one weekend--which is an amazing feat, considering the timing of everything. I'd wanted to get in the house, cleaned, painted and all repairs completed before moving our things in. And we could have done that, but it would have meant moving on my birthday (and the weekend Leslie was in town). I opted, instead, to embrace that things weren't going to be ideal. Like most things in life, moving in was going to be a bit of a compromise. Saturday, with the help of my family, we finished packing and moved everything. This meant both residences needed a major cleaning overhaul. Sunday was my mom's birthday celebration, and I opted to spend it celebrating with her rather than cleaning and unpacking. Of course, all I could think about was the mound of chores I was putting off, but again--compromise.
That week is a bit of a blur altogether. My mom and Ms. Amy were nice enough to come clean the new home from top to bottom (very important to me before inhabiting a new place). I got the water and gas turned on (this took a little time and a plumber since I had a gas leak--but I was reminded of how lucky I am to have a boyfriend who knows sooo many people and is owed soooo many favors!). Timmy came out and helped me pick out some colors to paint the trim and shutters (still haven't gotten that done, thanks to the tricky weather, but soon). Got a fridge, met our neighbors. Things are coming together.
Leslie came in town on Friday, and we finished the spare bedroom, complete with bed (ahhh). No bunking up with Kiera to give Leslie a place to sleep. Clean old apartment? Check. Mom and her boyfriend cut/weeded/edged my lawn (still no lawn equipment), and we were faced with the actuality of the size of the backyard. And the hill it sits on. I'm going to need a riding lawnmower or that yard boy I keep mentioning. Mom has also washed a mound of laundry for us...thrice, actually. Our washer quit on us the week before we moved and it's a stacked unit, so we have to buy a new washer and dryer.
Fixed the hot water tank, the AC unit, the garbage disposal. The kitchen sink, garage door opener and light in Kiera's bedroom. Tommy's had a perpetual honey-do list and I'm sooo fortunately to have such a handy man! The list continues (already know what we're going to work on next weekend), but it's nothing so dire that I'm going to stress over it.
Despite the chaos, bad timing, series of unfortunate events, I'm happy. Legitimately happy. When I wake in the morning, I look around my room, around my bathroom with a sense of pride. I still love the house and neighborhood. In fact, there isn't one aspect I've come to dislike so far, and certainly nothing I've grown to hate. Our garage is still full of boxes and I've got lots of things to buy (and not nearly enough money with which to accomplish this), but none of that diminishes the happiness of owning this home.
Kiera's room, though smaller than the one at the apartment, in my opinion, suits her fine. She really likes the house and I've enjoyed her making sure it's straightened up before her friends come for the first time (let's see how long that lasts). Her bathroom (my least favorite part of the house) in due for a major overhaul (okay: tile floor, fresh paint, new fixtures--not a complete overhaul) at some point in September. Kiera says it isn't bad to her, but I hate it. Must be updated asap!
I still don't have pics to post because I want to get the outside painted and a little landscaping done first, but I hopefully I will have some to post by month's end. I'm a big fan of making a good first impression.
In a nut shell, the post-home buying process has been a breeze compared to the chaos of getting the home. I could definitely use a little more time and money, but I have no regrets so far and Kiera and I are enjoying every aspect of the new place. More to come...