I'm always searching for a cheap (or better yet FREE) way to do things. Party planning is no exception to this. While I wouldn't say I am truly creative, I am inspired from time to time and, more importantly, I'm great at the blessed art of googling.
So it's no surprise that for Lea's Sweet Sixteen, Jay's funeral and the three baby showers I'm hosting this month, I did a little research and put in a little tlc, which added up to big bucks saved!
Here are three share-worthy finds from those searches:
This link for a Martha Stewart Banner allows you to print off whatever letters you want to make a cute, personalized banner. Its design indicates its intended purpose is weddings, but I printed enough letters to do all three baby shower banners + Lea's sweet 16. I simply printed off the letters, used card stock for the background (about one inch larger than the letter cut-out), used a two-hole punch at the top of the letters/cardstock and weaved a coordinating ribbon through it.
Here's the one I did for Kaylynn's baby shower:
Another find for the baby showers was this FREE printable onesie's sticker template. These are, evidently, all the new rage in baby-growth documenting. I have to admit: I love the idea and am in more than a bit of envy that these weren't around when Kiera was a baby. If you don't want to take the 15 minutes to print and cut them out (I did them in the sticker version using Avery label sheets as opposed to the iron-on version), you can buy them online for about $10 (shipping and all). If you have a 4 inch hole punch (even better)--it'll take you about 2 minutes!
Lastly, I decided to take on a few tasks for Jay's memorial (as a side note, the memorial was perfect- I wouldn't change a thing about it), which included the creation/printing of the programs. Since funeral homes charge several hundred dollars for a substandard program, it seemed like the perfect task. There were a free templates online, but the best was actually on the Microsoft Office template site (no signups, no extra downloads, no gimmicks).
You can find the template I used right here. I even kept most of their formatting and their poem, since I thought it was fitting. I was going to print them at work, but I didn't want to abuse the company's resources (especially considering it's two full color pages), so I emailed them to Kinkos, used a friend's FedEx discount and had a slew of them done for about $15 total. And quite a few people remarked on how nicely they were done.
The best thing about all three of these is that none of the projects looked "home"made. I like personalized stuff, I like saving money, but I refuse to display or promote something that's sloppily done.
[Is "sloppily" a word? Hmmm]
Hope you find at least one of these helpful.
Although...on second thought...I hope you find at least one of the first two helpful. :)
