Must spare enough time to...
Brag on my amazing kiddo.
From the beginning...
Last spring she and I went to Oxford to see The Univerity of Mississippi's performance of 25th Annual Putman County Spelling Bee, which we both absolutely loved!
Kiera found out a few weeks ago that her school was going to be piutting the musical on this spring. So she ditched the audition she had planned for Kudzu's Seussical and auditioned for PCSB yesterday. For weeks she has been debating on what song she should audition with. It seemed completely last minute (and I was worried about the lack of preparation) when she chose Dixie Chicks' Cold Day in July (which she has loved since she was about four years old).
Well she must have done really well because she got the LEAD female role in the musical.
That's a pretty big deal when you're 14 and competing with 18 and 19 year olds for the part (who are part of the school's theater and thespian programs).
When I picked her up from the audition I asked her to sing her audition song for me (she hates it when I ask her to do this); she obliged and absolutely killed it (that's "killed" in the good way). Natalie Manes is one of those singer that is SO difficult to duplicate but Kiera sounded amazing. I literally had chill bumps. I asked her to video it so I could post it and she said she would "later." I don't know how much she meant it, but I'm definitely going to pester her for it so I can share it online. It wasn't one of those look-how-great-my-kid-is versions of amazing, it was legitimately amazing.
We ate a celebration dinner on the patio at Huey's (79 degree high yesterday? Yes, please!) and she was beaming from ear to ear the entire time (I'm not ashamed to admit I was too). We spent a little time looking up her solo parts online and I have to say: It's a little intimidating. She has a pretty big role to fill (although almost all the characters have a signifigant role, Olive's character is the most developed, imo) and some pretty difficult solos. Eek! But I have faith! Those years of theater camp can finally be put to good use (and some of her camp friends have already committed to seeing the performance). I'll post more details as I get them (regarding performance schedules, etc).
And if you want to learn more about the Tony award-winning musical, here's a LINK.