Monday, November 22

A World of Thanks (Part One)

It’s Thanksgiving Week!

Yes, we get two days off of work. Yes, there’ll be turkey and dressing aplenty. And yes, we will participate in the madness otherwise known as Black Friday.

But I, for one, also plan on taking time to denote the “Thanks” in Thanksgiving by showcasing a couple of the things I am most grateful for in a series of blogs (and in no particular order). We won’t hit everything, of course, but then we probably never could.

To begin, I’m soooo thankful for:
  • My amazing kiddo. I don’t know another family where mom and daughter thoroughly enjoy one another’s company the way we do. We have the same sense of humor and she is so sharp and witty—it’s like having an adult companion that you can still make do chores. (We’re sooo Gilmore Girlesque.)
    Aside from this, she is a great kid. I don’t have to check her phone, call her friends’ houses to ensure she’s there or otherwise worry about her being sneaky. Her grades and conduct are always good, and she’s never in trouble. I know there are people who will say, “My Mom didn’t know what I was doing at her age either,” but trust me…I am watching. And there is not a single alarm going off. This kid is stellar. And yes, I do take a little credit for this. After all, I did mold her singlehandedly.
  • The good health of the people I love. I have recently befriended a woman who is in Stage 3 of terminal cancer, and she is one of the most positive people I’ve ever met. When I’m thinking about complaining about my achy knee or a headache, I just stop, gain a little perspective and shut my trap. If she can remain positive while undergoing bone marrow biopsies and chemotherapy, certainly I can endure a headache! And, in honor of my friend and in her name, I will be donating blood on Thanksgiving Day. I’ll already be full of aforementioned turkey and dressing, which only minimizes the chance that I’ll pass out! It’s a win-win situation!
  •  Desert. That woman mentioned above ^, we had lunch last week. And she said, “I’m getting dessert.” And I thought, “Girl, you had better get dessert. You so deserve dessert.” This also inspires me to burn the good candles (Votivo), wear my sexy underwear (Victoria’s Secret) and enjoy my own dessert (counting calories is for wimps!). The perfect day for those things is today—when better to enjoy than at the peak of your health and good fortune?
  • Jason’s Deli. Well, while I was writing about my being grateful for desert, Jason’s Deli stopped by with a pumpkin coffee cake. It’s huge, and it looks delicious, so Thank You, Jason’s Deli!!!. :)
(++)