There isn't much time left in the day leading up to blog item #5, so I'd better go ahead and get this out here, even if it's short or choppy or inarticulate...
Let me preface this by explaining that my high school was (and continues to be) dysfunctional. Not your typical every-high-school-is-dysfunctional variety of dysfunctional, but overall completely dysfunctional. We walked through metal detectors, experienced a coup when prom votes were rigged and had a rock fight outside after the fire alarms were pulled for the um-teenth day in a row. We never did things by the book, there was never any great sense of pride in the school and most of my classmates had essentially disappeared prior to the social networking trend that began a few years ago. Since then, however, there have been several get togethers for KHS students. Most of these were pretty informal--meeting at Fox and Hound, The Flying Saucer or Shelby Farms, but tomorrow we will be meeting in a (slightly) more formal fashion at Spaghetti Warehouse in Memphis. Now, I get this isn't an all out formal reunion, but it's as close as we'll ever get to one, complete with old high school memorabilia, photos, decorations and catering. So I'm pretty excited about the whole thing.
As a pre-game to the reunion, I was fortunate enough to meet up with one of my oldest and dearest friends, Sabrina, today and have lunch with her and her three beautiful girls (visiting from North Carolina). Sabrina and I became best friends somewhere around diapers (her family lived beside my dad), and we stayed glued at the hip until jr high school, where we developed into our own separate characters, always knowing that we had each other's backs, no matter what the distance (both emotional and physical). It was clear from lunch that that mentality has not changed, which is refreshing. I have no doubt Sabrina would be the go-to friend if I ever came into a "Goodbye Earl" situation. And she would handle it flawlessly.
But back to the event...
Hopefully there will be a good crowd there. I splurged in a little retail therapy with Tina last night and found an ah-mazing dress and heels for the event...and I'm stoked. Genuinely excited (which to be honest with you, I wasn't feeling even as recently as last week). As an added plus, I'll be spending all day (and night) with Stephanie (whom I've also known since diapers). I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and post an update after the reunion with all the good news for those of you that won't be able to make it.
I'm still shocked that it's been fifteen years. Fifteen. Seriously? Wow.
Now back to feeling old but looking great. :)
