[Why yes, I do love stats].
People on Facebook
- More than 500 million active users
- 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
- Average user has 130 friends
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook.
700 billion minutes? Imagine how much good we could do the world in those minutes!
And 130 friends? Pulease.
Tommy alone has 848 friends. Which means there are 5(.5) other people on FB (with Tom as their sole friend) who created an account and never logged on again (most likely forgotten password) averaged into his number to come up with that average.
Unlike Tommy and most other users of Social Networking sites, I am very selective on who makes the virtual friend "cut."
Take my FaceBook page--it currently has only 15 members. 15. That's it.
"Well, that's not much 'social networking'," you might say. But for me, it works out perfectly. Having been bombarded with requests from ex boyfriends, ex friends, frenemies, the random girl you had in that one Biology class 15 years ago, your kid's friends, your friends' kids and the girl you *just* met through a friend last weekend, social networking had become as much about virtual etiquette and weighing the costs and benefits of a virtual friendship as anything else. All in all, it was a monstrous headache. And for what? To watch my virtual popularity skyrocket? Mmmm, no thanks.
Until just moments ago, it seemed to me I was the only person on the planet (or at least in the major developed countries) with this mentality. That was before this amazing article for smaller social networking sites appeared in my Yahoo news window.
![]() |
| They're singing Hallelujah here. I swear it. |
Finally, a social networking site(s) that understands me!
This also raises the question:
Facebook-groups, what?
Okay, yes, I knew there were FB groups, but I didn't realize you could limit which group saw which information! (When you have 15 friends, you don't have to worry about these things so much.)
So...if I posted something that was, let's say, less than appropriate for my 13 yr old daughter to read, I could make it viewable to only an age appropriate group? One that, for instance, entailed only the 15 people I've deemed worthy of my oft-times raunchy, rarely PC status updates?
In-ter-est-ing. Very in-ter-est-ing.
:)
I do believe this new information may change my virtual reality...
Ex boyfriends, ex friends, frenemies, the random girl I had in that one Biology class 15 years ago, my kiddo's friends, my friends' kiddos and the girl I *just* met through a friend last weekend, here I come.
Heck, who knows?
I might even send a friendship request to my most loyal cyber stalker
You'd like that, wouldn't you?
[inserts best malicious smirk]
