Tuesday, May 31

Just crossing my fingers for a good nursing home.

Despite my having to work ALL day yesterday while everyone else enjoyed ribs and baked beans, I am in an incredibly good mood today. “Why?” you may ask. Well, first off, I don’t like ribs. Or baked beans. So I’m not missing much. Secondly, I got paid double-time (yippee). And, most importantly, it’s because today is my unofficial Friday! :) (Sorry, but I couldn't resist that link.)

After a two-month countdown, kiddo and I are finally heading to Chicago tonight!

I opted for the Amtrak rather than flying in because we’ve flown...oh...I couldn’t even tell you how many times. Kiera was excited and interested in it the first few times, but at about time ten, she developed that been-there, done-that mentality. So I thought the Amtrak would be the perfect way for us to “tour” the trip, relax on the way and experience something new together.

Amazingly, I have not put together an itinerary for this trip. I thought (proudly) that I was being abnormally laid back about the whole thing, but when I pulled my Chi-town folder out at work, I realized that I am, in fact, being quite compulsive, as usual. Still, there is no itinerary. (This is major. Baby steps.) So I’ll be armed with (at least) all the maps, coupons, groupons, living socials, sight-seeing synopses, reservations, and L-schedules we could possibly need, and we’ll simply wing it from there. We’re staying at The Palmer House downtown, so I expect there will be more things to do than time in which to do them, which is never a bad thing.

Kiera is incredibly excited and doing a literal countdown. Tomorrow night--the only planned evening, we’ll be at the Aragon Ballroom to see The Script in concert. This is Kiera’s favorite band by a long shot. When she told me it was the “one” concert she wanted to see ("like ever" in that dramatic teenage way), I had to make it happen (see title for more information). I’ve searched high and low for a meet-and-greet opportunity to no avail. Still, I plan on getting there early since it’s general admission and we’ll get a spot up close. I think it's going to be an amazing time.

I’ll try to post some pics via phone, but I may be too busy, so we’ll see.

For now, I'm going to close this out on my favorite Script song, which (I must say) Kiera does an amazing rendition of. Y'all enjoy. :)